7.04.2012

Salute Your Shorts! DIY American Flag Shorts

Happy Fourth of July! 





I know it might be a little late for you to make them to wear tonight, but I have a feeling that these shorts aren't just for the 4th of July. The Americana trend is hot right now, and so I decided to jump on the bandwagon make my own DIY flag shorts. ha. 

I was inspired by the ones Kylie Jenner is wearing in the picture above, and I believe they are by Runwaydreamz... here's a better picture. 






You will need:




1. Shorts: Got mine at Goodwill for dirt cheap. Less than 3 bucks. Can't beat that. 
2. Star stickers: Michaels had a sale on stickers right now. random. 
3. Fabric paint: also at Michaels, they were a dollar and change each. 
4. Scissors
5. Brushes. Hard Bistle and an fine angled brush. 
Paper plate to put your paint and a towel for the floor. 

Remember that your working with fabric paint and it won't come out of clothes, so wear something you craft/paint in. 

Ok. So this is what I did in a nutshell.


1.

Cut your shorts and wash them. 


2. 


Tape where you don't want the paint to be. 

3.


Lay tape for stripes down with 1'' tape on right side (left side when you're wearing them)

4. 


Measure and add stars to the left side. (right side when you're wearing them)

5. 


Apply blue paint. (I used metallic paints, and it looks awesome)

6.

Take out every other tape strip and add red paint and let it dry to the touch. 

7.



Once dry, remove the stars and switch the tape back on the red stripes to paint the white stripes. 

With an angled brush I filled in the stars on the blue side. 

Let the whole thing dry overnight. Read the instructions on the back of the paint for washing. Mine says 72 hours before I can wash them so that is what I am doing. 

In the morning you can remove all the other blue tape and reveal your new shnazzy pair of star spangled shorts! 


TA-DAH! 


Here is a picture I Instagramed earlier of me wearing them. (find me @DISCOairglow)



Hope you have a great holiday! 




Will you be trying out this trend?

Leave me a comment below! 

3 comments:

  1. Thank you! And thanks for commenting! Let me know how they turn out! :) -M

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow those shorts look great!

    the-renaissance-of-inner-fashion.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Tanya! Let me know if you'd me to recreate these or any other shorts in a video.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving your comment! <3

01 09 10