5.25.2012

DIY Snakeskin Tray


Solid Tray Instructions:
1. Wash and dry your fabric then iron it.
2. Mod Podge the side facing out to prevent fraying.
3. After it has dried for an hour, measure and cut your fabric to fit.
4. Make sure you center the pattern how you want it.
5. Apply Mod Podge to both the tray and the fabric and press it down firmly.
6. Smooth out all the air bubbles. Here is where the rewards card it handy.
7. Once the top had dried completely, flip it over and do the same for the back.
8. Cut the corners at an angle.
9. Apply Mod Podge all over the edges and corners to seal everything.
10. Let it dry overnight.
11. Optional: If you feel they tray is too sticky, spray it with clear acrylic spray.
Clear Plate/Tray Instructions: 
1. Flip your tray over onto a bowl to keep it from touching the table.
2. Apply Mod Podge to the back of the tray and to the side you want to show through.  (This is very important, or you will end up seeing the back of the fabric.) 
3. Lay it on the tray and smooth out the air bubbles with your fingers and the rewards card.
4. After it has dried, cut the edges.
5. Finish by applying Mod Podge to the back of the tray for any stray edges and for durability.
6. Optional: Again, you can use clear acrylic spray if your tray is too sticky.
 
 

THE BACKSTORY:

So, lately snakeskin trays have been all over the blogosphere and all in my brain. I am officially obsessed with them and I needed one like, yesterday.
Here are a few pictures to get you in the mood. *Cue Marvin Gaye and scroll slowly*
Sexy right? Oh man.
Unfortunately, when I went on the quest to find one like them, all were out of budget and back ordered to boot. womp womp.
 
Here are the ones I found:
$87.50 at Multichic.com
This one is by Two's Company and is a set of 3 for $92.99
Totally UH-mazing.
Needless to say the cheapest one I found was this one for $40-$55 at jaysonhomeandgarden.com... and they were out of stock, too. Awesome.
On to plan B. Make one!
I gave myself a budget of $25 and I came in under budget.
Materials:
Mod Podge: $6.49 (had a 40% off coupon): $4.19
Fabric: $10 + $4.90s&h
Tray: Had one, but the clear plate was $3 at Walmart
Foam brushes:  $0.50/ pop, Home Depot
Old Rewards Card: Free anywhere.
(I finally got some use out of my Costco card)
Total: $23.09 for 2
The tray I used was originally purchased at Walmart for like $8 or $9, but you can pick one up at a thrift store for much less.
I found a few different fabrics that I liked
This white one from Decorative Fabrics Direct was a close match but was $19.95/ yard, which was on special from $31.45.
 
This darker one I found on Fabric.com and was $7.98, but was a little too dark for my taste.
... And lastly I found the Goldy Locks of fabrics on eBay from a seller called The Sew Shop for just $10!
 
 
What do you think?  Would you make your own snakeskin tray?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving your comment! <3

01 09 10